Fill your house with the fantastic aroma of these balsamic roasted tomatoes. Perfect for dressing up a roast, a schnitzel,mix them through your bolognese, make a purée out of them, add to some roast chicken or just about anything you can think whilst adding some real flavor at the same time. Although the best thing about these roasted tomatoes are they are wonderful just by themselves. They are a favorite at our house over Christmas because the rich red color of the tomato looks so very ‘Christmassy’ especially when I serve them with some beautiful green roasted asparagus.
- 6 vine-ripened tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs torn fresh basil or thyme
- Preheat oven to 300°F
- Halve the tomatoes horizontally and place, skin-side down, on a baking tray.
- Add a piece of garlic to each half, sprinkle with the sugar and drizzle the vinegar and oil over the top.
- Season with salt and pepper and roast in the oven for 1 hour until softened and lightly charred.
- Set aside to cool. Serve at room temperature garnished with the basil or thyme.