This is a great winter recipe and absolutely perfect for a tailgating party. Even though it has beer in it you cant taste the beer and by the time it is cooked there won’t be any alcohol left in it either. It is important to note that you need to use a GOOD beer like a dark Mexican beer not something like Bud or Miller Lite. If you are concerned you can substitute chicken broth instead. Every time I make this dish my family all really love it and always want seconds. If you think it needs more seasoning try adding more chili powder, cumin or garlic powder.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can chili beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer
- 2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 3 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- crushed tortilla chips (optional)
Make Your Own Taco Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Place the onion, chilli beans, black beans, corn, tomato sauce, beer, and diced tomatoes in a slow cooker.
- Add taco seasoning, and stir to blend. Lay chicken breasts on top of the mixture, pressing down slightly until just covered by the other ingredients.
- Set slow cooker for low heat, cover, and cook for 5 hours.
- Remove chicken breasts from the soup, and allow to cool long enough to be handled.
- Stir the shredded chicken back into the soup, and continue cooking for 2 hours.
- Serve topped with shredded cheddar cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips, if desired.