- 2 ¼ cups sifted flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup 2 tbsp sifted brown sugar
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¾ cup sour milk
- ¾ cup boiling water
- 3 squares chocolate
- ¾ cup shortening
- 1 ½ tbsp vanilla
- Sift flour, soda, baking powder and salt together, twice.
- Pour water over chocolate in a saucepan, stir over low heat until thick. Cool to room temperature.
- Combine butter and vanilla. Add sugar 1/4 cup at a time. Cream after each addition until fluffy.
- Beat eggs until thick, add slowly to creamed mixture. Blend well.
- Add chocolate to creamed mixture, beating until stiffened.
- Add flour and milk alternately , flour 1/4 cup at a time and milk 1/3 cup at a time, repeating process until all in added in.
- Pour batter into 9 inch layer pans. Bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes.