I was watching the lovely Nigella Lawson from the United Kingdom on television yesterday and she made these very yummy chocolate chocolate chip muffins which looked so good I just had to share the recipe with everyone. Really quick and really easy to make only taking 30 minutes from start to finish and do not require any special ingredients which is always good. The originally recipe had the oven too hot in my opinion and baked them too long. So sorry Nigella I suggest people only bake at 350 F and for around 15-18 minutes not 20 minutes at 400 F! You can always check by poking one of the muffins with a toothpick and if it comes out clean with just a few crumbs clinging to it then they are ready. If you like moist muffins use a cup of low fat yoghurt instead of the milk. Keep in mind these are muffins not cupcakes so they are not super sweet. If you insist on sweet muffins then add 1/4 cup of extra sugar just make sure it is super fine. I really like these muffins and think they are perfect for a weekend brunch or whenever you need a quick chocolate fix.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons best quality cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup superfine sugar
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips, plus 1/4 cup for sprinkling
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Put the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa, sugar, and 3/4 cup of the chocolate chips into a large bowl.
- Pour all the liquid ingredients into a measuring jug. Mix the dry and wet ingredients together, remembering that a lumpy batter makes the best muffins.
- Spoon into the prepared muffin cases. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips on top and then bake for 20 minutes or until the muffins are dark, risen and springy.