- 1 pack of thinly sliced beef (sukiyaki beef if you can get it)
- 2 peppers (red or green), finely sliced
- 2 types of mushroom (shitake, eringi, shimeji are good) sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, sliced very thinly (use a mandoline)
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 small piece of ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- pinch of sugar
- dash of mirin
- dash of sesame oil
- glug of kecap manis
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 3 or 4 stalks spring onions, finely sliced
- Fresh Tagliatelle, enough for two servings
- juice of half a lime
How to make Black Pepper Beef Tagliatelle
I absolutely love dishes like this. For some reason, pasta works incredibly well with robust Asian flavours – here a delicious peppery, garlicky sweet sauce. The combination of Asian flavours with fresh (or good quality dried) pasta is something I thoroughly enjoy experimenting with. Makes 2 generous portions.
- In a blender, pulse together the black peppercorns, mirin, oyster sauce, sesame oil and sugar to a thick paste. You’re looking for a sweet, peppery flavour. Adjust to your liking – my measurements aren’t exact, they are simply where I started off from…
- Put some water on the boil in a pan for the pasta.
- Heat some olive oil in a wok. When hot, stir fry together the sliced pepper and mushrooms. Glug some kecap manis on them to give a little colour. Season with a bit of salt. When soft, tip them into a heatproof container and keep aside.
- When your pasta water is boiling, add the pasta. It will cook in about 6 – 10 mins (depending on whether you opted for fresh or dry), and that’s more than enough time to finish off the beef.
- In the wok, heat a little more oil. Fry together the beef, garlic, ginger and shallots. When the beef is cooked through, add the mushrooms and peppers you cooked previous. Add the pepper sauce from the blender. Mix well and turn down the heat.
- Drain the pasta and add to the beef wok. Add the chopped coriander and spring onions, mix everything together well, and serve immediately. Squeeze over fresh lime before eating.